Do you want to know what makes us tick? Why we’ve become the Mexican tile experts? Do you want to see the faces behind the friendly voices you speak to at Rustico Tile & Stone? These are our people.
I started selling tile on eBay many moons ago. That little venture took off and (through the grace of God) brought us to our USA staff of 9 people and our Mexican producers, vendors, and logistics people of over 200. The catalyst for this growth has been nothing less than divine intervention, pursuit over obstacles, and a generous dose of humor. We’ve failed, we’ve succeeded, and we’ve grown to love our industry and our Rustico family.
The Important Questions
I asked a few of our full-time office staff these questions:
1. What is your favorite thing about working at Rustico?
2. What are your hobbies?
3. Where do you enjoy volunteering? (We offer each full-time member of our staff paid time off to volunteer in our community.)
Click each person below to see what we have to say.
Shelley’s Answers -
1. I like the small office vibe…. Doing work alongside Ray, Melanie, Martha, & Lisa. I love working with our customers. They get very excited about creating a specific look for their flooring. Because the construction process can be daunting and stressful, I do what I can to make their flooring process as comfortable as possible. And I’m delighted when our customers share photos of their finished project.
2. My hobbies include anything beachy and offshore fishing. I’m an AVID sports fan – Texas Aggies, Houston Texans, Houston Astros! And I enjoy cooking with my hubby.
3. When I volunteer, I enjoy serving at Texas Humane Heroes, Drive a Senior, and Habitat for Humanity.
Martha’s Answers -
1. I like working at Rustico because it’s a small (family) company. For the most part, it’s a relaxed atmosphere. (That’s the for “most part” qualification, Martha.) And it’s a different line of work than anything I’ve ever done.
2. My hobbies including spending time with my family. I love watching movies and reading.
3. I enjoy volunteering at the Angel House Soup Kitchen in Austin. I would like to start volunteering at a crisis pregnancy center.
Ray's Answers -
1. The best part about working at Rustico is working with my wife. (I did not prompt that answer!) Being from Mexico initially, it’s meaningful to work with and to provide work to our people in Mexico. I don’t go to sleep at night without considering it a humble blessing to provide employment for so many people there. Work is our mission field. And it’s a mutual fit – we create the demand for artisan products, and they make it. We can’t do it without one another.
2. I love fitness – especially CrossFit. I enjoy playing with my kids and boating on Lake Travis.
3. I enjoy volunteering at my church. Through our business, Melanie and I have been able to provide life-changing opportunities (extra work, housing, financial assistance) for people in need. We may not reach the masses, but we can reach one person at a time.
Melanie's Answers -
1. I love the hands behind the work. There are hands of people that are the catalyst for beautiful architecture. Because all our products are handmade, I do my best to communicate the story of the hands in Mexico who have been following age-old artisan processes. We’ve improved our products and operations over the years, but we’ve maintained the integrity of the craftsmanship. And I love the people with whom I work every day.
2. My favorite hobby is spending time with my family. My kids are young enough to 'want' to play with me… so I’m relishing in that right now.
3. I actively volunteer at our church and through the Austin Dog Alliance. Max (below) and I are a certified therapy dog team. We read with kids in schools and visit residents of local assisted living centers. My kids join me with the assisted living visits which are a double treat for me!
Wonderful tiles and service. Wouldn't consider buying tiles anywhere else. They're the best!AntoniaGladstone, OR
Dealing with Rustico Tile was a great pleasure! Finding and purchasing tile on the Big Island of Hawaii is not only a difficult task, but usually a very expensive one also--"the price of paradise." When I first hit the site, I was blown away! When I spoke with Shelley, I knew this was possible... When I would call from HI (5 hr. difference), they (Marsha, Shelley) were always ready to help and smooth out the process. Great people, great service, great product!OsianaHakalau, HI
Outstanding customer service with great communication! LOVE my new tile - gorgeous product and well made. Highly recommend them.ShannonAvalon, CA
I couldn't have asked for a better experience with Rustico. I saved hundreds of dollars for Saltillo tile that is Just as specified and very beautiful. The shipment of over four full pallets of tile made the trip from Texas to Georgia on the exact target date. The tile is in great shape. I can't wait to send a picture once our project is completed. Plus the customer service is top notch!BryantMacon, GA