Terracotta Floor Tiles Explained
“Terracotta” is an Italian word that translates to “baked earth,” and that’s a perfect description of what these tiles are all about:
- They’re made from clay
- They’re fired in a kiln at very high temperatures
- The end result is beautiful, durable tiles
We source all our clay exclusively from the riverbeds of a town called Saltillo in the state of Coahuila, Mexico. Saltillo clay is renowned for its strength and durability, which makes it an exceptional choice for Terracotta tile flooring. We work with artisans who have been handcrafting Saltillo tiles for generations. They know their stuff. We do too.
Remember: if the clay didn’t come from the town of Saltillo, then you don’t have authentic Saltillo tile!
Characteristics of Terracotta Flooring
So, what’s it like to stand on Terracotta flooring? In a word, delightful.
Unsealed (“raw”) Terracotta floor tiles have a mildly grainy surface texture that is pleasant to the touch. When used as flooring, they have a satin finish that is slightly textured, giving them a rustic feel underfoot.
Their range of colors offers something for any home environment, from earthy reds and oranges to soft yellows and pinks.
Subtle variations in texture and tone from one tile to the next indicate that you’re getting the “real deal” – authentic Saltillo tiles.
Bonus fact: Terracotta tiles are an energy-efficient option. They store warmth during the day and release it slowly during cooler periods, helping to regulate the temperature in a room. These clay tile floors work efficiently with radiant floor heating systems, too! Now, that’s a hardworking floor!
When it comes to quality, machine-made Terracotta floor tile is often less sturdy than its handmade counterparts. However, if your Terracotta flooring is handcrafted, kiln-fired, and properly sealed, it should last decades.
Terracotta Tile Flooring for Decor
You’ve been warned: Once you try Saltillo tiles, you may never go back. Here are just 5 reasons why:
- Ageless Appeal: Terracotta tiles have been used in homes for centuries. They continue to be a popular choice for their classic, timeless style.
- Versatility: They come in various terra cotta patterns – shapes, sizes, and finishes. They’re suitable for a variety of home décor styles, from rustic to modern.
- Personality: Their charming imperfections and variations in color lend character to any space.
- Staying Power: They’re incredibly durable and long-lasting.
- Unique terracotta tile texture: Their unique, tactile texture adds interest and depth to rooms of all sizes.
If you want a flooring option that’s effortlessly stylish and tough as all get-out, add Saltillo tiles to your shortlist.
Shop for Terracotta Tiles in Our Samples Store
- Product on sale12×12 Octagon Tile in Spanish Mission Red Terracotta Flooring
- 8×8 Hexagon Saltillo Tile | Sealed Mexican Pavers | Rustico Tile$3.75
- Authentic 16×16 Mexican Saltillo Tile: Real Clay Tiles$7.15
- Product on saleBeautiful Arabesque Tile Pattern in Rustico Saltillo Tile | San Felipe
- Picket Tile Pattern | Rustico’s Spanish Mission Red Saltillo Flooring$5.40
- Riviera Pattern in Manganese Saltillo Tiles | Rustico Tile and Stone$4.50
- Rustico Tile | 12×12 Octagon Tile in Manganese Saltillo Flooring$4.25
- Product on saleStar and Cross Pattern in Antique Terracotta Tile | Nonslip Tiles