Terracotta tiles are one-of-a-kind awesome. You might have heard that they’re a popular flooring choice – but do you know what it feels like to stand on them? Stick around. We’re going back to the Terracotta floor tiles basics.
Want to See It In Your Room?
Room Visualizer Tool
Terracotta Floor Tiles Explained
“Terracotta” is an Italian word that translates to “baked earth,” and that’s a perfect description of what these tiles are all about:
- They’re made from clay
- They’re fired in a kiln at very high temperatures
- The end result is beautiful, durable tiles
We source all our clay exclusively from the riverbeds of a town called Saltillo in the state of Coahuila, Mexico. Saltillo clay is renowned for its strength and durability, which makes it an exceptional choice for Terracotta tile flooring. We work with artisans who have been handcrafting Saltillo tiles for generations. They know their stuff. We do too.
Remember: if the clay didn’t come from the town of Saltillo, then you don’t have authentic Saltillo tile!
Characteristics of Terracotta Flooring
So, what’s it like to stand on Terracotta flooring? In a word, delightful.
Unsealed (“raw”) Terracotta floor tiles have a mildly grainy surface texture that is pleasant to the touch. When used as flooring, they have a satin finish that is slightly textured, giving them a rustic feel underfoot.
Their range of colors offers something for any home environment, from earthy reds and oranges to soft yellows and pinks.
Subtle variations in texture and tone from one tile to the next indicate that you’re getting the “real deal” – authentic Saltillo tiles.
Bonus fact: Terracotta tiles are an energy-efficient option. They store warmth during the day and release it slowly during cooler periods, helping to regulate the temperature in a room. These clay tile floors work efficiently with radiant floor heating systems, too! Now, that’s a hardworking floor!
When it comes to quality, machine-made Terracotta floor tile is often less sturdy than its handmade counterparts. However, if your Terracotta flooring is handcrafted, kiln-fired, and properly sealed, it should last decades.
Considering Terracotta Flooring?
Contact us to talk tile, prices, colors, y mas. We ship this stuff worldwide!
Terracotta Tile Flooring for Decor
You’ve been warned: Once you try Saltillo tiles, you may never go back. Here are just 5 reasons why:
- Ageless Appeal: Terracotta tiles have been used in homes for centuries. They continue to be a popular choice for their classic, timeless style.
- Versatility: They come in various terra cotta patterns – shapes, sizes, and finishes. They’re suitable for a variety of home décor styles, from rustic to modern.
- Personality: Their charming imperfections and variations in color lend character to any space.
- Staying Power: They’re incredibly durable and long-lasting.
- Unique terracotta tile texture: Their unique, tactile texture adds interest and depth to rooms of all sizes.
If you want a flooring option that’s effortlessly stylish and tough as all get-out, add Saltillo tiles to your shortlist.
Shop for Terracotta Tiles in Our Samples Store
- 16×16 Mexican Saltillo Tile | Large Square Terracotta Flooring$7.15
- Arabesque Pattern in Spanish Terracotta Flooring, San Felipe Saltillo TileProduct on sale
- Manganese Mexican Saltillo Tile, Riviera – Spanish Flooring by Rustico$4.50
- Mexican Saltillo Tile | 8×8 Hexagon Terracotta Floor | Mexican Pavers$3.75
- Octagon Saltillo Tile 12×12 – Terracotta Flooring – Manganese Brown Tile$4.25
- Octagon Spanish Mission Red Terracotta Tile | Mexican Saltillo TileProduct on sale
- Picket Saltillo Tile Pattern in Spanish Mission Red Color$5.40
- Star & Cross Pattern in Terracotta Tile (Antique Color Saltillo Tile Flooring)Product on sale
Considering Terracotta Tile for Your Next Project?
It’s easy to get an estimate! Just fill out our short form, drop in your contact info, and tell us a little about the style of your space. Then, we’ll email you a personal estimate or follow up with a phone call if we have questions.