It’s The Craze In Recent Years, And It Doesn’t Seem Like The Trend Is Slowing Anytime Soon. Cement Tile Flooring. The Varieties Of Decorative Cement Tile Are Unlimited. From Traditional Designs, Geometric Shapes, And Customizable Tiles, Everyone Wants To Get His Or Her Hands On Encaustic-Style Cement Tile. While Installing Cement Tile Is Easy To Do, It’s Also Easy To Mess Up If The Correct Products And Processes Are Not Followed. Check Out These 5 Things Not To Do With Cement Tile Flooring.
1. Don’t order painted ‘look-alike’ cement tiles. If you want something durable that will outlast your lifetime, or at least get you to your next home décor renovation, buy the real deal. How do you know if it’s authentic? Real cement tile flooring gets its color from pigmented cement. With painted cement tile, the paint soaks into the concrete surface. It is subject to wearing down with age very quickly. Painted tiles do not last and are not as durable as real, handmade Cement tile. They may be less expensive at the onslaught, but who wants to incur the added expensive of replacing tile too quickly?
2. Don’t skip the sample. Sellers like us offer samples for order. I’m always hesitant when one of our customers orders their flooring without first ordering a sample. Colors displayed on a computer screen or iPad screen vary than what’s displayed in real life. If you’re color-specific, bite the bullet and spend a few bucks on the cement tile flooring sample. Consider it as an insurance policy to your flooring satisfaction. You’re welcome.
3. Don’t reinvent the ‘how to install cement tile’ process. Whomever you’re buying cement tile from, heed their advice and installation guidelines. Not only do they probably know what they’re talking about, but they can then help you troubleshoot any cement tile flooring issues if things go awry.
I hear it all the time – “My installer has been installing tile for 30+ years.” Yes, and while he or she is an excellent tile setter, this person is most likely not a ‘cement tile flooring’ installion expert. The sellers from whom you purchased your tile from are. So, allow cement tile companies to give good advice to your experienced installer. Use the installation materials and sealers that we recommend. It will make your tile setter’s job easier which will make you happy.
4. PLEASE read this carefully! Do NOT skip the process of protecting your tile from grout stain. This is the #1 mistake that tile setters or DIY’ers miss when it comes to installing cement tile flooring. Depending from where you sourced cement tile, you’re may be advised to seal the tile with a specific cement tile sealer before grouting your floor. Alternatively, as we advise our customers, seal your tile with our HydraGuard sealer AND follow up with the application of a separate grout release product. Why use separate grout release? It’s added protection, especially for dark grout colors. It’s easy to do, quick, and is inexpensive.
5. Do not slap on any ‘ole sealer. I revert to my point #3 above. Just heed the advice of the company from whom you purchased your cement tile flooring. They’ve tested their recommended cement tile sealer and can help you trouble any issues with the installation process. Not all sealers are equal when it comes to protecting cement tile. At Rustico, we recommend a 2-step system of sealer for cement tile. It’s inexpensive, easy to apply, and our TerraNano topcoat sealer boasts an average lifespan of 10-15 years. You’re spending good money on beautiful tile, so protect it!
I hope these Things Not to do with Cement Tile Flooring tips are helpful. If you buy quality cement tile, find a reputable tile installer, and follow the advice from your tile provider, you’ll be the talk of your neighborhood with beautiful new cement tile flooring!
Check out our low-cost stock MeaLu Collection cement tile designs for quick shipping. Want to customize a tile for your space? Browse through the Traditional Collection designs. Contact us today for a price estimate. We ship worldwide.
Make Every Space Count
Check out these Recommended Readings
and other great ideas about cement tile
- Cement Tile Bathroom Trends
- Common Mistakes with Cement Tile Floors
- Beautiful Cement Tile Bathroom Floors
- Concrete Tile Bathroom Floor Pictures & Ideas
- Timeless Home Decor Trends with Decorative Tile
- Custom Cement Tile Patterns
Learn a little more about our company and how we operate.Not sure what products you need? Explore our handmade products.