It’s time to give your home the gorgeous style it deserves. Whether it’s a new build with Spanish floor tiles, a summer remodel, or a seasonal refresh, there’s a Spanish tile waiting to be the answer to your project dreams.
The term “Spanish Tile” can actually refer to many different tile types. In this post, we’ll give you the insider’s cliff notes to the three most common types of Spanish tiles: Saltillo, Talavera, and Cement. Let’s get started.
- The Number One Choice for Spanish Floor Tiles: Terracotta Saltillo
- Decorative Cement Tile for Kitchens & Bathrooms
- Spanish Style Homes with Talavera Tiles
- Shop for Spanish Floor Tiles in Our Samples Store
- The Tile Doldrums Are Over
- Room Visualizer Tool
The Number One Choice for Spanish Floor Tiles: Terracotta Saltillo
This is one of the most common types of Spanish tiles for flooring. These tiles are crafted by hand using the finest natural clay found in the riverbeds of Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. They boast warm, earthy tones and distinct variations in both color and texture.
In fact, Saltillo tiles are a popular choice for a variety of design styles, including:
They are durable tiles, suitable for both indoor and outdoor spaces. With proper sealant and top coating, they will serve you well for many decades. You won’t find a more striking, iconic Spanish tile choice for home terracotta flooring.
Saltillo tiles are available in a range of sizes and shapes. Try a Star Cross or Hexagon pattern; throw in some decorative inserts; go for the large 24×24-inch tile size for added drama in a large space. You get the idea – you’ve got options.
After you decide on Spanish floor tile shapes and sizes, you’ll also have your pick of five luxurious colors and finishes:
Saltillo Tile Colors & Finishes
- Traditional: Our best-value finish comes in a range of appealing Terracotta shades, from red and orange to gold and yellow.
- Manganese: Available in a range of neutral, brown, and Terracotta hues. You’ll often see some black swirling mixed in with the Terracotta, creating an elegant, marbled appearance.
- Spanish Mission Red: A striking range of darker Terracotta colors, achieved with our Mission Red dye added to the penetrating sealer. If you’re looking for a tile in a classic Spanish-style color, this is the one for you.
- Antique Saltillo: We call this the Old-World style Saltillo tile. Not only does it showcase the rust and Terracotta range of tile colors, but it has a unique, hand-textured finish. This tile is a champion for wet, humid, and outdoor areas.
- Custom Saltillo: Your space is unique, your tastes are unique, and we’re up to the challenge of creating the perfect tile to match your style. We offer custom glazing, custom texturizing, and so much more.
Decorative Cement Tile for Kitchens & Bathrooms
Equally popular types of Spanish tiles are Cement tiles, also known as encaustic tiles. Interestingly, they’ve been around since the late 19th century and are known for their durability, versatility, and unique patterns. Our experienced artisans in Mexico create the highest-quality Cement tiles in the biz.
Each tile is:
- Created in the exact design specifications of our customers
- 100% “green” (natural ingredients = non-pollutant)
Also, cement tiles are available in various unique colors and patterns, from bold and graphic to subtle and sophisticated. So use them in a variety of ways to add interest and personality to any space.
- Since they are impervious to moisture, they are a superior option for bathrooms, showers, and patios.
- They make a killer accent wall, combining bold colors and texture for a striking appearance.
- Have you ever considered Decorative Cement tiles for your tabletop? Consider it. They’re strong and unique, and they’ll bring fresh personality to your family’s eating surface.
- But also, don’t forget Spanish tile flooring: these tiles can withstand the elements in high style.
Decorative Cement tiles can be used in a variety of ways to create a truly unique and personalized space. So with their timeless beauty and durability, Cement tiles are an unbeatable choice for any design style.
Spanish Style Homes with Talavera Tiles
Now, if you’re looking to channel the history and beauty of traditional Hacienda or Spanish-style décor, look no further than Talavera tiles. These beloved Mexican ceramic tiles can trace their roots all the way back to the 1400s in Spain. Also, older variations of Talavera tile have been found from centuries before that, in Arab, Italian, Chinese, and Philippine cultures.
- Intricately designed
- Vibrantly colored
- Famous for their unique texture, size, and color variations
One of the wonderful things about Talavera tiles is their compatibility with other design elements of the home. For example, here are five ideas to get you started:
- Kitchen Backsplash: Add a pattern of colorful Talavera tiles to spice up a neutral kitchen environment – while protecting your walls from splashes and stains.
- Outdoor patio: Create a backyard oasis with beautiful hand-glazed Talavera tile flooring.
- Stair risers & coping: Create a unique statement with Talavera tiles in your entryway or on your staircase.
- Bathrooms: Talavera tiles can be used to create a stunning accent wall in the bathroom. They’re also the perfect complement to your vanity or bathtub.
- Fireplace surrounds: Bring some history and pizazz to your family fireplace with bright, authentic Talavera tiles. They complement other design elements in the space for a warm, cohesive look.
Simply put, Talavera tiles are a timeless design element that carries over into modern homes with ease. Saltillo tiles are crafted by hand using the finest natural clay found in the riverbeds of Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. These tiles are famous for their warm and earthy tones, as well as their distinctive variations in both color and texture.
Shop for Spanish Floor Tiles in Our Samples Store
- 12×12 Octagon Tile in Spanish Mission Red Terracotta Flooring$5.25
- Product on sale8×8 Cement Tile – Roseton Black White Pattern – Encaustic Floor Tile$6.25
- 8×8 Hexagon Saltillo Tile | Sealed Mexican Pavers | Rustico Tile$3.75
- Authentic 16×16 Mexican Saltillo Tile: Real Clay Tiles$7.15
- Product on saleBeautiful Arabesque Tile Pattern in Rustico Saltillo Tile | San Felipe$3.75
- Encaustic Cement Tile – Thames Design – Spanish Style Rustic Flooring$6.25
- Picket Tile Pattern | Rustico’s Spanish Mission Red Saltillo Flooring$5.40
- Riviera Pattern in Manganese Saltillo Tiles | Rustico Tile and Stone$4.50
- Rustico Tile – 8×8 Turquoise Cement Tile in Philadelphia Pattern$6.95
- Rustico Tile | 12×12 Octagon Tile in Manganese Saltillo Flooring$4.25
The Tile Doldrums Are Over
We’ve all been there – sometimes, our homes can get stuck in a rut. We walk the same floors day after day, thinking, “I wish this room wasn’t so dark,” or “How many years have I had this awful flooring?” or “My kitchen is depressing.” We walk outside and say, “I love the view of the backyard, but this patio is so meh.” If your house is singing the blues, enough is enough. Throw back the proverbial blinds and get some creative sunshine into your space,
If you’re ready to embrace historical colors, unbeatable character, and to-die-for luxury in your home, it’s time to talk Spanish tiles. Give us a call. As the Mexican tile experts, we’re here to walk you through the amazing possibilities at your fingertips. We can’t wait to get you back to your “happy place” at home.