Rustic Décor Ideas Are The Exclamation Mark For Southwest Style Interior Design Themes. The Inspiration Of Southwestern Style Homes Hails From 18th & 19th-Century American Settlers And Spanish Pioneers. These People Established The American Southwest.
You didn’t know you’d get a history lesson today, did you? All good modern architecture exists using its early roots in history – the stories told and left untold. So, let’s dive into the characteristics of southwest style interior design made easy with just a few rustic décor ideas for this evolving style.
While New Mexico and Arizona are natural hotspots for southwest interior design, anyone can create this style using a few relevant rustic décor ideas. This style is geography-driven, right? Southwestern style = American Southwest. We can’t address the style elements without first looking at the influence of landscape and culture. The desert landscape, Spanish culture, & a relaxed lifestyle are the bellwether elements guiding this distinct style.
First, the desert landscape gives rise to the colors of southwestern design – neutral, warm hues. However, the color palette leaves room for bold accent colors. Spanish pioneer influence adds multifarious variables of wrought ironwork, rustic-style wooden furniture, functional pottery, and clay tile floors.
Some rustic décor ideas that hold to desert landscapes include:
- Neutral warm paint colors throughout southwest-style homes
- Spanish floor tiles
- Wood art carvings and embellished wood furniture
- Outdoor living spaces and large patios or verandas immersed with floral desert plants and cacti gardens
- Outdoor stone fountains or firepits
Next, in addition to the landscape, a relaxed lifestyle is another southwest-style interior design marker. Having low-maintenance, decluttered spaces in the desert is essential. You can see this in southwestern-style architectural elements of homes.
Some rustic décor ideas for a relaxed lifestyle include:
- Adobe-style homes with soft lines and traditional arches
- Stucco plaster on exterior spaces and outdoor living elements
- Fuss-free Terracotta tile floors that are low maintenance
- Clay pottery or stone planters for indoor and outdoor spaces
Also, the colors of southwest style interior design are some of the most distinguishing ingredients of this style. Its desert landscape inspires the brushstrokes of Southwest-style colors. They are warm, neutral colors like Manganese Saltillo tile. However, bright and bold colors have found their place in the lineup thanks to dominating Spanish influence.
Some rustic décor ideas using the southwestern style color palette include:
- Mexican kitchen backsplash tiles
- Painted Talavera tile accents used in flooring and as wall tile décor
- Spanish-style murals and wall art
- Turquoise tiles & accent pieces
- Decorative pottery
And finally, texture plays a significant role in southwest style interior design. As with colors, texture evolves from strong Spanish influence. The texture also reflects the available natural resources of the American Southwest landscape. One of the most important surface textures is terracotta flooring.
Clay tiles floors are a signature mark of southwestern-style homes because they are durable, have warm colors, and provide the foundation of hardscape texture in Adobe homes. Terracotta flooring, also known as Mexican Saltillo tile, is available in various shapes, sizes, and color finishes.
Some other rustic décor ideas to incorporate natural southwestern style textures include:
- Mexican-style blankets, pillows, and woven upholstery
- Large, dark wooden ceiling beams
- Wooden furniture with hand-carved embellishments
- Woven grasses, braided rugs, and bulky woven baskets
- Wrought iron light fixtures and adorning wall art
With weighty influence from our Spanish neighbors, the southwestern style of interior design has become a distinctly American style. It is the product of generations of adaptation. And it continues to evolve into what is becoming modern elegance. No matter your geographic location, southwest-style interior design can make its way into your space. With careful forethought and planning, this is one of the most natural and affordable home décor styles to accomplish. Just keep it simple, incorporate a few signature elements, punch up accent colors and artwork, and enjoy the relaxed southwestern lifestyle.
Learn more with our post, Everything You Need to Create a Spanish Style Home.
To sum it all up… (share the infographic below with your loved ones!)